Sunday, August 14, 2011

Meet The Teacher Handouts

 Below you will find the hand out I gave out on 'Meet the Teacher'. I also  have a form for each parent to fill out regarding their child. If you didn't receive it, I will send it home later this week. I am also looking for room mom/dad this year, if you are interested please come see me before/after school or shot me a quick email.Let's have a great school year!

August 16, 2011
Aloha Parents:
Welcome to 5th grade!  I hope you had an enjoyable summer, I am very excited to start the new school year off and happy to be your child’s teacher at Redd School. I anxiously await the opportunity to get to know your child. I want his/her experience in my classroom to be a positive one that will enhance their love of learning and growth in education.  I will try my best to make this a successful and rewarding year for everyone.
Regular attendance is important to your child’s academic success. In the event of an unforeseen circumstance or illness causing your child to miss school, make up work will be provided.  Make up assignments should be completed in a timely manner, students will be given one day per absence to complete assignments. I will clearly communicate this in writing and contact you if additional assistance is needed.
In an effort to maintain a pleasant and safe environment, I have implemented a classroom management plan. Please see the attached outline. It includes behavior expectations, class rules, rewards and consequences. Please take a moment to review these with your child. I will also introduce this plan on the first day of class and reinforce it throughout the remainder of the school year.
It is my goal to keep lines of communication open, as your child’s academic development relies on our combined efforts. A few weeks into the school year, I will begin sending home a weekly behavior progress note as well as assignments completed to be signed. In general, you will receive the progress note on Friday and it should be returned signed by Monday. I will not be sending home academic progress notes as that our grading system is online thru Oncourse and it is available all hours of the day for parents to see their child’s success.  I strongly recommend that you stay up to date on your child’s grades online as well as our class website which will have our newsletters and homework posted on. I will send home your passwords and log in within the first couple of weeks for the grading system.
Please feel free to go online and check out our class website at http://reddschoolexplorers.blogspot.com/.  I strongly encourage you to contact me with any questions that may develop. Please contact me at 281-440-1106 or by email.
Thank you for sharing your child with me. I look forward to visiting with you at our Open House in a couple of weeks.

Mahalo,

Mrs. Embley
pembley@reddschool.com or embley.tricia@yahoo.com


Mrs. Embley’s Classroom Management Plan:
Expectations for Academic Success:
-       Be kind and get along with others.
-       Keep your desk neat and clean.
-       Take care of your supplies as well as class supplies.
-       Listen and Follow Directions.
-       Be ready to learn.
-       ALWAYS do your best work.
Classroom Rules:
1.    Stop, Look and Listen when the teacher is speaking.
2.    Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
3.    Be kind with your words and actions.
4.    Use quiet inside voices.
5.    Wait your turn to speak.
Rewards for appropriate behavior:
1.    Praise
2.    Leadership roles in the classroom
3.    Happy notes home
4.    Class Points
5.    Class Parties
Daily Consequences:
First Time: Verbal Warning
Second Time: Student will sign the conduct journal and sit out 5 minutes at recess.
Third Time: Student will sign conduct journal and sit out for 10 minutes at recess.
Fourth Time: Student will sign conduct journal and sit out all of recess. Student will be required to write an action plan that will make them responsible for improving behavior. I will review the plan and send a copy home.
Fifth Time: Referral to Office, Call Home.
Conduct will be recorded daily and conduct notes will be sent home weekly. Students will be able to track their infractions by moving their clip down our behavior chart so that they feel responsible for their behavior.
This year we will be using Oncourse Grading for fifth grade, which is online grading portal. I will be able to put all your students’ grades online. Parents will be given a log in and password to be able to view grades. A packet will be going home in the next week or so with your log in, passwords and in depth directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment