Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Newsletter to Parents from Mrs. Embley

10/4/11
Welcome to October! We have made it to fall and the cooler weather. Fall is one of the best times of year at Redd School and I absolutely love what we have in store the upcoming weeks. I hope you have been noticing your child expanding their knowledge on so many topics! We have covered a lot of material all ready and I am so proud of each of them.
We have been covering the Regions of the United States in Social Studies and all the students are doing very well with their geography. This week the students Time Line Projects were due and I loved each and every one! The time lines are so fun to see with all the personal pictures and stories! I will be getting their final grades on the projects back soon. Please be sure your child is studying their Midwest Region for the Quiz tomorrow. I have sent home a study guide we completed in class.
In Language Arts we are moving into Spelling Unit 7. This week’s list is about knowing when you are using enough letters or you have added too many (notice there are some contractions). In addition to that, we are having a unit test over sentences, complete subjects & predicates as well as simple subjects and simple predicates. The review will be given out tomorrow and we will go over it again in class. We just tested over Ben & Me Chapters 4-6. This test was an open book test (I told the students the day of to be sure they still studied). We had great test grades!! We are going to be moving on to Chapters 7-9 in Ben & Me in the next week so over the weekend please have your child re-read these chapters.  We are getting close to finishing the book and I can’t wait to start our Holocaust Unit next!
We are moving right along in Math also! We are getting caught up on our math facts and exploring Roman Numerals. We have also been doing a lot of word problems. Before we move on to our next unit we are going to review Roman Numerals and test over it next week. If you feel your child might benefit from extra math help OR want to encourage them to enjoy math, please send a note with them to join the Math Club on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:45. Math Club is hosted by Mrs. Henry who is a mad mathematician who makes math so much FUN!! There is still space but it is limited so hurry if you would like your child to be present.
I hope everyone logged onto the blog yesterday to see the reminders for this month. Report Cards come out on October 19th and Fall Festival is October 29th. I still need two volunteers for our class booth. If you are available to fill a 30 min. slot or can do an hour slot instead of 30 mins. please send me a note!! I greatly appreciate the help. Another reminder be sure your child is selling Fall Festival Tickets- these help Redd School so much!
Lastly, I sent home an envelope yesterday with your Online Grading Logins. Please be sure to keep these safe. The system was having some difficulty yesterday and I know some were able to log on but unable to see the grades. As of now, you should have full access to your child’s grades. If you have any questions feel free to email me at embley.tricia@yahoo.com. I do try to email back immediately, but please keep in mind that after school hours I have family commitments and am attending Master’s Courses also. So if I don’t respond immediately I will get back to you within 24 hours. If it is an emergency feel free to call me at school or my cell 832-651-8387. Have a wonderful week and tell your child you are proud of their success so far in 5th grade!!
Mahalo,

Mrs. Embley

No comments:

Post a Comment